Think Insurance, UK, Walsall
Call our experts free on 0800 221 8077
Motor Trade Insurance

Motor Trade Insurance

If you're a motor trader looking for insurance, get a fast online traders quote with us.

Or request a call & get a fast quote >>

    You are here:
  1. Think Insurance Specialist Insurance Brokers
  2. Motor Trade Insurance

Motor Trade Insurance Quotes

What Is Motor Trade Insurance?

Motor Trade insurance is the general name for the type of insurance policy offered to people working within the motor trade. This includes buying and selling vehicles for profit (Motor Traders), fixing vehicles (Mechanics & Mobile Mechanics), cleaning vehicles (Valeters), moving vehicles (Car Jockeys) or recovering them if they’ve broken down (Vehicle Recovery Agents). Motor Trade insurance is available for people working in the trade on a full-time basis, as well as those running their trade business on a part-time basis too. There are two main types of cover; Motor Trade Road Risk, and Motor Trade Combined cover.

Road Risk Insurance

A Motor Trade Road Risk insurance policy can cover you to drive any vehicle in your possession, for either personal use or for motor trade purposes, including any vehicles belonging to your customers, where driving is required to carry out your work.

Combined Insurance

A Motor Trade Combined insurance policy can also cover your buildings, contents, tools, equipment and money too. As with standard Car insurance, Motor Trade insurance comes in 3 levels of cover – Third Party Only, Third Party, Fire & Theft, and Comprehensive cover. Each level of cover offers a different level of protection.

Motor Trade Insurance Cover

There are also a number of additional Liability insurance products available to Motor Traders – Public Liability, Employers’ Liability, and Product Liability (also known as Sales & Service Indemnity). Public Liability covers you against any claims made against you by members of the public for personal injury or damage to property, whilst Product Liability covers any work you carry out or parts that you fit, in case they are faulty. Employers’ Liability is a legal requirement for any business with employees, covering you in case of personal injury or illness caused as a result of the work they carry out.

Who Needs Motor Trade Insurance?

If you work in the motor trade, whether you’re selling, buying, fixing, moving, cleaning or recovering vehicles, then you need Motor Trade insurance to protect you and your customers, should anything happen. Whether you work from home or from premises, are full-time or part-time, if you work in any of the following trades, then you need to consider getting cover in place:

Vehicle Sales Insurance

Vehicle Sales insurance policies are aimed at motor traders that buy and sell vehicles for profit. It doesn’t matter if this is your full-time job, or you do it on a part-time basis alongside another occupation. We can cover Traders working from home or from a specific business premises, and can tailor your policy to cover the things you need as a trader, such as demonstration cover, goods-in-transit or stock of vehicles. For larger Traders, we also offer cover for buildings, contents, tools and money.

Mechanics Insurance

As a mechanic, you’ll need an insurance policy to cover you against a number of things specific to the work you carry out. You’ll need a Mechanic’s insurance policy that allows you to drive customer’s vehicles for testing and diagnosis, and you’ll likely need protection for your tools and equipment such as lifting machinery and vehicle ramps. If you’re selling and fitting parts, then you may also want Sales & Service Liability just in case anything goes wrong with the work that you do or the parts that you fit.

Mechanic Insurance

Body Shop Insurance

Our Body Shop insurance policies can be tailored to suit your business, with cover for your machinery, all of your tools and specialist equipment (such as spraying booths), your premises and its contents as well. If you have vehicles or courtesy cars, these can be covered, and if your business has employees, we can cover them too with our Employer’s Liability insurance. You can also add Public Liability or Sales & Service Indemnity, to make sure you’re covered if anything should happen to a member of the public, or as a result of the work you have carried out.

Vehicle Recovery Insurance

If you run a Vehicle Recovery business, or work as a sub-contractor for somebody else, then there are several things you’ll need to make sure are covered in any Motor Trade insurance policy you take out. You need to cover your own vehicles and recovery trucks, as well as any that you are towing or recovering whilst they are on the back of your truck. You may also want to protect your tools and equipment, as well as your premises and any contents. If you have any staff then you’ll also need Employers’ Liability, whether that’s for a recovery agent, or a part-time bookkeeper doing your accounts.

Tyre Fitters Insurance

Working as a tyre fitter means you’ll need a Motor Trade insurance policy that covers you for driving customer’s vehicles, as well as protecting the work you do and the parts you fit. Your garage may have vehicle ramps and lifting equipment that you’ll want to protect, and you may even have employees working for you that need covering too. All of these things can be protected under a Tyre Fitters insurance policy with Think, whether you’re a full-time or part-time Motor Trader.

Valeters Insurance

Our Valeters insurance policies are created specifically to suit professional valeters and vehicle detailers, whether you work from a designated premise, work from home, or provide a mobile valeting service. We’ll provide you cover to move your customer’s vehicles, as well as protecting your tools, equipment, and stock against theft and damage. Working with chemicals and cleaning products means there is always the chance that an accident will occur, so we’ll cover you and your business, and protect your employees, your customers and their vehicles too.

Valeters Cover

Car Jockey Insurance

Our Motor Trade insurance policies for Car Jockeys provide cover for you to drive your customer’s vehicles to and from designated premises and storage sites. You may only be moving vehicles a short distance, but you still need to protect yourself and your customers. We can also cover your premises, buildings, contents and any equipment you may have, as well as offering Public and Employers’ Liability cover too.

Mobile Mechanics Insurance

A Mobile Mechanics insurance policy can cover you for testing and diagnosing the vehicles you’re called out to, as well as protecting your own vehicles, tools and equipment too. As a mobile mechanic, you will be working wherever the customer needs you, so having Public Liability cover will protect you against claims made against you for injury to a member of the public or damage to their property. We can also provide Sales and Service Indemnity to cover any work you do and parts you fit, just in case there’s anything wrong with them.

Top Tips For Motor Traders

When arranging your Motor Trade insurance, there are a number of things you should consider: Never be tempted to lie about your circumstances – Your insurance policy is based on the details you provide when getting your insurance quote. Sometimes you may know that certain answers will cause your price to increase, and so be tempted to lie, or leave out certain details to reduce your premium. However, when we find out, your insurance can be cancelled and made void, and any pending claims could be rejected. This could lead to further problems if you were required by law to have cover, and it will make getting cover in future very difficult.

Carefully consider who to add to your policy - The more drivers you add to your Motor Trade insurance policy, whether they be employees, business partners or members of your family, the greater the risk you pose to the insurer as there is more chance of someone being involved in an accident. Therefore, to keep your insurance premium down, always consider who you want to include on the policy as their circumstances can affect how much you pay. Drivers under the age of 25 will have a significant impact on the cost of your insurance as they are seen as a much higher risk. Similarly, drivers with driving convictions or criminal convictions can increase your premium, and in some cases, make it difficult to get cover at all.

Car Parking

Other tips for reducing your Motor Trade insurance include increasing your policy Excess, building up your No Claims Bonus, looking at where your vehicles are parked or stored, and providing proof of trading to demonstrate you run a legitimate motor trade business. All of these things, if managed properly, can help reduce the cost of your cover.


Motor Trade Insurance News

Motor Trade News January

Motor Trade News Monthly Round Up January 2018

We look back at all the important motor trade news from January, highlighting a new scam to be aware of, plus other motoring news.

Mot Test Three Years

MOT Test to Remain At Three Years

Government backs down from decision to increase MOT tests from three years to four years for new vehicles.

Motor Trade Online Prices

Should Motor Traders Show Prices Online?

As a motor trader, should you show your prices online? Like showing Motor Trade insurance quotes online, it’s not always a simple answer.

Improve Online Presence

How to Improve Your Online Presence as a Motor Trader

Top tips for motor traders looking to boost and improve their online presence, from Motor Trade insurance broker Think Insurance.

Motor Trade News December

Motor Trade News Monthly Round Up December 2017

A look at all the important Motor Trade news from December and 2017.

Online Sales

Is It Time To Start Offering Online Sales?

With online sales continuing to rise, should you start offering this service?

Motor Trade News November

Motor Trade News Monthly Round Up November 2017

This month sees the fallout from the Autumn Budget, as well as news from the Motor Trader Summit.

Mot Rule Changes

Are MOT Rules Getting Too Lax?

Changes mean some classic cars will no longer need MOTs.

Dvsa Launch Mot Reminders

DVSA Launches Beta MOT Reminder Service

Service Launched Due To High Percentage Of Overdue MOTs

Motor Trade News

Motor Trade News Monthly Round Up October 2017

Hybrids are back in the Round Up as well as consumer attitude news, MOT news and why you need a good Motor Trade insurance policy.

Motor Trade Insurance FAQ's

Mechanics Insurance

Can Anyone Get Traders Insurance?

There are some restrictions as to who can take out a Traders insurance policy, and it can vary between insurers.

Compare Insurance

Is Motor Trade Insurance Expensive?

The price of your Motor Trade insurance policy can vary depending on a number of factors, and more add ons can make it more expensive.

Young Driver Insurance 2

Do I Need Part Time Or Full Time Traders Insurance?

Unsure whether your Motor Trade business needs Part-Time or Full-Time Traders insurance? Read on.

Tyre Fitter Insurance

What’s The Difference Between Road Risk Insurance & Combined Insurance?

The difference between Motor Trade Road Risk Only and Combined explained.

Convicted Driver Insurance Online Quote

Who Is The Leading Motor Trade Insurance Broker?

Are Think Insurance a leading Motor Trade insurance broker? We hope so!


How To Get Motor Trade Insurance

If you need advice on getting a Motor Trade insurance policy read on.

Motor Trade Insurance 5

What is the Difference Between Comprehensive and Third Party Only Cover?

A Comprehensive Motor Trade insurance policy offers a different level of cover than Third Party Only.

Motor Trade Insurance 5

What is the Difference Between a Certificate of Motor Insurance and a Cover Note?

Both offer proof of insurance but a cover note is only temporary.

Motor Trade Insurance 4

What is Uninsured Loss Recovery service?

Uninsured Loss Recovery cover may help you claim back expenses which are the result of an accident.

Motor Trade Insurance Pages

Mechanics Insurance

Comprehensive Motor Trade Insurance

Comprehensive Motor Trade insurance is the best level of cover you can buy, allowing you to ensure your vehicle and business are protected.

Motor Trade Insurance Cost Average

Third Party, Fire & Theft (TPFT) Trade Insurance

When taking out a Motor Trade insurance policy you might want to invest in better cover than a Third Party Only policy.

Mechanic With Car Keys

Traders Insurance - Third Party Only (TPO)

A Traders insurance Third Party Only policy is the most basic level of cover you need as a motor trader.

Big Ben

London Motor Trade Insurance

If you’re looking for London Motor Trade insurance then we explain what it entails, and how you can get it.

Compare Insurance

Traders Policy Rules

Make sure you know what you can and can’t do on a Motor Trade insurance policy by knowing what the Traders’ policy rules are.

Motor Trade Insurance Birmingham

Motor Trade Insurance in Birmingham

If you are looking for Motor Trade insurance in Birmingham we can help you out. Our location means we are ideally placed for traders in the Second City.

Motor Trade Insurance Cost Average

Motor Trade Insurance Cost Average

If you’re looking to take out your first Motor Trade insurance policy, or renew your current cover you might wonder what the Motor Trade insurance cost average is.

Mechanics Insurance

Traders Insurance Under 25

Restrictions apply to motor traders under the age of 25 when applying for insurance.

Online Insurance Quote

Motor Trade Insurance Online Quote

Are you looking for an online Motor Trade insurance quote?

Mechanics Insurance

Best Motor Trade Insurance

Finding the best Motor Trade insurance is an important part of being a motor trader.

  1. Motor Trade Insurance >>
    1. 1 What Is Motor Trade Insurance
    2. 1.1 Road Risk Insurance
    3. 1.2 Combined Insurance
    4. 1.3 Good Motor Trade Insurance Video
    5. 2 Who Needs Motor Trade Insurance
    6. 2.1 Vehicle Sales Insurance
    7. 2.2 Mechanics Insurance
    8. 2.3 Body Shop Insurance
    9. 2.4 Vehicle Recovery Insurance
    10. 2.5 Tyre Fitters Insurance
    11. 2.6 Valeters Insurance
    12. 2.7 Car Jockey Insurance
    13. 2.8 Mobile Mechanics Insurance
    14. 3 Top Tips For Motor Traders
  1. Motor Trade Insurance Articles >>
  1. Motor Trade Insurance FAQ's >>
  1. Motor Trade Insurance Pages >>