Think Insurance, UK, Walsall
Diesel Vehicle Vs Petrol Vehicles

Can You Cover Part-time Motor Traders?

As a specialist Motor Trade insurance broker, we are able to cover people working in the trade on a full-time basis and on a part-time basis too.

The main requirement with our Part-Time Motor Trade insurance policies is that you have to be operating a genuine, actual business, and not just working on cars as a past-time or hobby.

Two Types of Motor Trade Insurance

For traders that operate on a part-time basis, there are two main types of Motor Trade insurance available.

Road Risk insurance is often the more popular variety of Part-Time Motor Trade insurance due to its simplistic nature. Because many traders operating part-time only have a small motor trade business, their insurance needs are often less extensive.

Whilst a Motor Trade Road Risk insurance policy can be seen as a ‘no-frills’ type of Motor Trade insurance, it might just be exactly what your business needs at this point in time.

Vehicle Sales

Combined Motor Trade insurance can include a wealth of additional Trade Car insurance products that can help protect your motor trade business. It can be designed to fit the needs of your business offering the right protection for you. However due to the extensive coverage most Combined policies offer it’s usually taken out by established and full-time motor traders, who usually have their own dedicated business premises and a lot more things they need to insure such as tools, equipment and money.

A Combined Motor Trade policy can be viewed by some traders as too excessive for their needs, and it can often be a waste of money for traders who simply don’t need it. However, on the flip side, Road Risk can also be seen as offering not enough coverage in some instances.

But Road Risk doesn’t have to just be basic Car insurance cover for motor traders; additional products can be added to enhance the policy. Demonstration cover can be added to a Vehicle Sales Road Risk policy for example, as that type of cover is essential for motor traders who sell cars and want their customers to be able to test drive them.

It doesn’t matter which area of the trade your business is operating in, we can help you get the right cover – here are some examples:

  • Part-Time Motor Traders buying and selling vehicles for profit
  • Part-Time Mechanics or Mobile Mechanics
  • Part-Time Garages, Body Shops or Vehicle Repairers
  • Part-Time Tyre Fitters
  • Vehicle Recovery Agents
  • Collection & Delivery Agents
  • Part-Time Valeters
  • Part-Time Airport Car Jockeys


Upgrade to a Full-Time Motor Trade Insurance Policy When You're Ready

You may be looking at starting a motor trade business on a part-time basis to test the water and see if there’s an opportunity to make enough money and turn it in to a full-time business. It’s a sensible decision to keep your other job going while your motor trade business is getting off the ground, to ensure you still have money coming in and aren’t solely reliant on your motor trade income from day one. It gives you the breathing space to slowly build the business up without taking too many risks, and allows you the comfort of knowing there’s something to fall back on if you need it. 

However, once your motor trade business is booming and the cash is rolling in, you may be in a position to give up your other profession and become a full-time motor trader. If this is the case, we can cover you while you’re business is getting going with one of our Part-Time Motor Trade policies, and then when you’re flying we can move you to a Full-Time Motor Trade policy.

For now though, your mind will mostly be focused on setting up and insuring your part-time motor trade business, and whatever type of business that is, we can help provide you with a bespoke Part-Time Motor Trade insurance policy that can offer the right protection. This will allow you to focus fully on turning your part-time motor trade venture into a thriving business.

Car washing

Our Part-Time Motor Trade policies can include the following:

  • Demonstration cover
  • Tool cover
  • Additional Business Use available 
  • Carriage of Vehicles cover
  • Stock of Vehicles
  • Public Liability cover
  • Cover For Recovery Trucks
  • Split Indemnity
  • Multi Premises cover
  • Goods In Transit
  • Motorbike cover


Part-Time Motor Trade Insurance

As a part-time motor trader you may be new to both the motor trade world and running a business, or either one. If that’s the case, you may not yet fully understand the complexities of Motor Trade insurance.

However, there are things you can do to help you understand what Motor Trade insurance your business will need to fully protect it. It’s as simple as taking a look at what your business needs to continue trading should something happen, and taking out insurance against that. For example, if there are certain pieces of equipment and tools that are essential to the running of your business, then you would need to take out Tools & Equipment cover.

If you’re not sure what type of cover your motor trade business needs then we can talk you through the differences between the types of policy and help you understand what’s best for you and your business.

Call our specialist team today on 0800 221 8077 or to start the quotation process click the ‘Get a Quote’ button below and a member of our team will be in touch.