Think Insurance, UK, Walsall
Call our experts free on 0800 221 8077
Shield Protection

Can Motor Trade Insurance Protect You For A Second Job?

Cover Your Vehicles For Motor Trade Use And Another Occupation

    You are here:
  1. Think Insurance Specialist Insurance Brokers
  2. Part Time Motor Traders Insurance
  3. Can Motor Trade Insurance Protect You For A Second Job?

If you have two different jobs, (running a part-time motor trade business as well as working in another non-motor trade role) you may find some benefits in using your motor trade insurance policy to cover your vehicles when being used for your other work. This is called Additional Business Use.

Can Additional Business Use Cover Any Occupation?

In short, no it can't cover vehicle use related to every occupation, but this cover will be available for a lot of other different jobs. For full details of which additional occupations can or can't be covered, please contact your broker, and speak to their specialist motor trade insurance team.

Is Additional Business Use Expensive?

Additional Business Use, as the name suggests, enables you to use the vehicle(s) that are covered on your trader's policy (that you own) for other types of business. This means that you will be covered for travelling between different places in relation to your non-motor trade job. You will generally find that adding this onto your policy will be relatively cheap - sometimes it can be as low as 5% of the total cost of your policy. This is generally going to end up costing you a lot less than taking out one policy for your motor trade activity and a separate car insurance policy for your other work.

Is Additional Business Use Automatically Included On a Motor Trade Policy?

It is worth noting that this additional level of protection will not automatically be included on your policy and you will need to ask for it to be added on. There are many people that make the wrong assumption that the policy they take out for their motor trade related job will provide them the necessary cover for their other work. If you do this, whether by choice or by genuine mistake, then you could potentially either end up in trouble with the police or you may find that your insurer will refuse to pay out if you are involved in an accident. Either way, you could end up with an unnecessary headache when it could easily be sorted out by making a simple addition to your policy.

Don’t Take The Risk – Add Additional Business Use To Your Policy

If you're not sure whether you're covered then ask your broker. Similarly if you want to find out more, whether it be to see if you can get this additional cover, or even to get a quote to find out how much it could cost, then contact your broker. For just a relatively small initial cost Additional Business Use could save you money in the long run and keep you protected. For a quote from us, please call 0800 221 8061 or click Get a Quote below.