Think Insurance, UK, Walsall

A Driver on the M6 Was Caught Eating Porridge

A police crackdown discovered some bizarre behaviour from motorists.

According to West Midlands Police, almost 300 distracted motorists have been caught in a recent week-long campaign against distracted driving and mobile phone use.

Porridge Eater Amongst Worst Offenders

Joining the M6 porridge eater in the worst offenders list includes a woman applying make-up behind the wheel and a biker who was steering one handed whilst taking a phone call. In total the Central Motorway Police Group found 289 people were driving careless or using a hand-held device whilst behind the wheel.

The West Midlands Police website says that the campaign, which took place in late May, was undertaken with officers in both marked and unmarked vehicles targeting motorists that were using mobile phones whilst behind the wheel.


CMPG Inspector, Sion Hathaway, said: “Some of the things our officers saw were absolutely staggering. In the space of just a few minutes we caught a man eating porridge and a lady applying lipstick both while driving on the M6 at 50mph.

"We also stopped a motorcyclist riding his bike with his helmet resting on the top of his head in order to take a phone call. A number of motorists who were stopped for using their mobile phones were also found to have no insurance… so their vehicles were seized.

"Yet again it’s very disappointing to see that many people just don’t seem to be getting the message that using your phone, or any mobile device, while driving is extremely dangerous. If you use your phone when driving your reaction times are similar to those of someone over the drink drive limit… no call can be so urgent that it’s worth putting lives at risk.”

Motorists Call for Tougher Penalty

Two thirds of a recent RAC survey of 2,100 motorists say the fine for drivers caught using their mobile phone whilst driving should be extended to £200 from the current £100, with one third saying it should go up to £450. 

Convicted Driver Insurance

If you’ve received points on your licence or have a criminal record, you may find it difficult to get a competitive insurance quote, and you may need to speak to a specialist Convicted Driver insurance broker. Get in touch today and see if Think Insurance can help you save on your insurance by clicking 'Get a Quote' below or calling us on 0800 221 8077.