Think Insurance, UK, Walsall
uk Police Car

My Car Has Been Stolen, What Do I do?

If your car has been stolen then the first thing you must do is report it to the police.

Upon discovering that your car has been stolen, the first thing you should do is report the theft to the police. You should do this by calling your local police station. If you aren’t sure which station is your local police station, you can dial 101 and ask to be put through to your local police station.

reporting a stolen car and getting an insurance claim

When reporting your car as stolen you need to have some information ready that the police will ask for, including the registration number of your car, the make and model of your car and the colour of your car. They will ask where the car was stolen from and a rough estimation of the time, if you did not actually witness the car being stolen. If your car has any distinguishing features, such as a union jack flag painted on the roof, then it would be worth informing the police of this. The police will give you a crime reference number, which you need to write down correctly as it’s an important number and you will need to provide that number to our Claims Handlers at Kingsway Claims via our 24/7 Claims line.

Stolen Car Insurance Claims Line

Think Insurance Claims Number

Call Kingsway Claims on 0800 205 5596.

The police will inform the Driver and Vehicle Licensing Agency (DVLA) of the theft and will also inform them if your car has been recovered.

As highlighted in the FAQ ‘If I Have An Accident, What Should I Do?’, our Claims are handled by an external company so that we can operate a 24 hour claims service. Therefore you must report the theft to Kingsway Claims, who will ask for the crime reference number and may also ask for details about the theft for their records. They will also inform us of the theft. It’s important that as soon as you have called the police to inform them of the crime, that you inform Kingsway so that we can work with the police to locate your car using the information recorded by your black box. Whilst having a black box in your car can help locate it if it’s stolen, it can only work with the car ignition turned on, and will therefore give a last known location, which unfortunately means there are no guarantees that the car can be recovered with this location data.

If the police are not able to recover the vehicle, we will discuss this with you and pay out the claim amount for the stolen car. Once we have paid out the claim for your car, you must inform the DVLA as your vehicle will then be classed as having been sold to the insurance company. When informing the DVLA of the new owner of the vehicle, it will be the company who you are insured with, not Think Insurance, as we are the insurance broker. If you are unsure of the company’s name, then you can find that information in your insurance policy documents. When reporting the new owner, you can advise the DVLA online by clicking here. Alternatively you can fill in ‘section 9’ of your log book, also known as the V5C. You will then need to send a letter to the DVLA stating when the payment was accepted and the details of the insurance company. 

The above information has been sourced from the official government website for this matter.

If you choose to continue your Young Driver insurance policy by purchasing or adding a new car to the policy you will not be charged for this.

Hopefully we have answered any questions and further queries you have on the matter. If however you do have other questions about our Black Box insurance policies you may be able to find the answer in our Young Driver FAQ section.

If you have not already got a Telematics insurance policy through Think Insurance you can call 0330 127 4100 to be put through to our Young Driver insurance experts, or alternatively click ‘Get a Quote’ below.